Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive

I've always been a fan of Tom Clancy because of his attention to technical details and his incorporation of political intrigue. I just finished reading his novel, Dead or Alive. Although it's questionable about how good the plot of the novel was, I feel like it's a really good read because of it's context in reality. The characters are highly contextual at this moment as the countries and characters (both fake and real) are in the current news.
The novel has 'The Emir' which is based on Osama Bin Laden and the corresponding terrorist group that he directs, the Umayyad Revolutionary Council(URC), which is supposed to be the equivalent of Al-Qaeda), the role of Pakistan's involvement. Also paralleling the situation in Libya, the book has a scenario taking place in Tripoli, Libya, and briefly mentions Qaddafi.
I haven't read any of Clancy's books in a while, and I've read mostly his more recent works such as Rainbow Six, The Bear and the Dragon, and The Teeth of the Tiger; I think it's time for me to read some of his older work especially the ones that have been made into movies.

No comments: