Saturday, June 09, 2012

Conan O'Brien's thoughts on failure

I recently watched a video of Conan O'Brien delivering a commencement speech at Dartmouth back in June 2011. He shared some inspirational ideas and of course coupled with his personal comedy, but his perspective of having suffered a very public failure gives him a very concrete basis of his authority on being able to honestly talk about the subject and how to overcome it.

I am thankful for him for sharing his inspirational words and hope to apply his knowledge to my own shortcomings and take his advice and try to re-invent myself through those disappointments to improve myself and figure out who I truly am.



"It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique. It's not easy, but if you accept your misfortune and handle it right, your perceived failure can become a catalyst for profound re-invention."

"No specific job or career goal defines me, and it should not define you. In 2000, I told graduates not to be afraid to fail, and I still believe that. But today I tell you whether you fear it or not, disappointment will come. The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality"

"Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen"

No comments: