Monday, April 02, 2007

Jerks

I just read this article in Time magazine. It's a nice realization if it is true that these types of people are being ousted because of their behaviour, because if they didn't, they wouldn't know or care, and they'd still be disrupting everyone else. But I guess the article may have some point (that it vaguely describes) of how you should keep some of the jerks.

They may be more valuable to you rather than handing them to the competition.
They may give your work environment a necessary foil to keep everyone in check.

But I really don't see the benefits of those 2 things (because I can't think of any other positives) outweighing majority of "jerk environments" that exist in the real world.

[I guess this argument could actually apply to non-work related environments as well, I was actually considering the entire discussion on any type of situation. People should definitely be assholes at work, and neither should they be anywhere else. Except in sports, everyone likes assholes at sporting events (unless you're sitting beside them). They provide free entertainment!]

No comments: