Sunday, April 27, 2008

Staying frosty

It's still really cold here in Vancouver. A little odd considering it's already Spring but the average temperature is still looking around 8-10 degrees Celsius.

Just some Frost-y poetry for the frosty weather

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
By Robert Frost

"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

I love Frost's work. His poetry is always calming because of its imagery and connection with nature. I added this because I was rummaging through some old poetry in elementary schools. Before I toss them, I'm gonna list them here so I'll have a little reminder.

Haiku:

A Windy Fall

The leaves gently falll,
trees swaying from side to side,
as the strong wind blew.

Snowflakes

The snow is drifting,
very softly on the ground,
painting the ground white.

Lanterns (1,2,3,1 syllables):

Snow
drifting
very light
filling the sky
white

Leaves
from trees
being blown
changing colours
fall

Games
pleasant
enjoyable
are challenging
fun

Rain
falling
drop by drop
pitter, patter
wet

Balls
are round
filled with air
played by people
bounce

Birds
have wings
big and small
soar through the sky
fly


I just realize some of those lanterns have some alternate interpretations. Hahaha. Okay, gotta get the mind out of the gutter. Time to get back to cleaning...

No comments: