Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To be or to be something else

I am going circles in my head still trying to figure out who I am, who I want to be, and how to get there. The idea of trying to do things differently, to act differently that to what I should/would, is still at the front of my mind. I am who I project. And the world around will reflect upon that.
I have to keep resorting to the fact that I am myself, and that I shouldn't change who I am in order to achieve my goals. History does not remember kindly those who are willing to succumb to pressure. History champions those that stand against the flow and challenge the strong. If I act against my ideals, I'd be doing nothing but betraying myself and abandoning all self-respect. I have to trust in myself and believe that I shall pave my own path. Pretending to be something else is an illusion and will only serve to sabotage my own efforts of self-definition.

Some quotes that have helped me strengthen my resolve:
"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." -Socrates
"We write our own destiny. We become what we do." -Madame Chiang Kai Shek
"Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds." -George Eliot

Richard Branson said something that resonated so strongly with my beliefs in daily life in an interview on The Colbert Report in August 07. He said "In the end, all we have is our reputation." It's the Golden Rule. You treat others how you want to be treated. People will trust and respect you if you do likewise.

I don't understand how a lot of people just don't get it. Some simple truths are the hardest ideals to achieve.

No comments: