Monday, May 27, 2013

Dutch Design - Day 31 - Eindhoven Day 3 - Atelier NL + Formafantasma Interviews "You actually have microscopes!"

Double interview day.

Our first interview of the day was with Lonny Van Ryswyck of Atelier NL. I was pretty floored by their studio because it was very different than any of the other studios we have visited or any I would have imagined. Atelier NL approaches design from a more scientific approach. The most unexpected element for me in their studio was the presence AND active use of a microscope. I do not feel that their work of material exploration was particularly aligned with my values but I was totally wrong after seeing how they approach everything in a very scientific way using methodological experimentation. Very cool place!








Second interview of the day was with Andrea Trimarchi and Simone Farresin of Formafantasma. Their work was similar to Atelier NL's working with materials. I was really impressed when they started talking about their philosophy. They are representative of the European idea of design where art and design are the same. The work they produce is artistic in terms of having very conceptual ideas and a message. The message and ideas they use are rooted deep within cultural and social contexts that really intrigue me.

One of the examples they used was really specific and highly specialized and I was happy to be able to understand it when they were talking about it. They talked about the city of Brasilia as an example of an idea that is actualized in reality (of Le Corbusier's architectural ideas). Even though the city was a failure, it was beyond the point. It was the fact that conceptualized ideas became reality. This struck me deeply as one of the most important points I have learned during the field school.



Afterwards, I went on an evening biking trip with Robbie, Christine, Yvonne, and Dan. We went out through the Strijp-S area (where I sadly dropped my s95 and it is now scratched up and a bit damaged). The weather was beautiful and it was a perfect night to go out and enjoy the city. This was one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever had. It was an exhilarating feeling finally being able to comfortably ride a bicycle. I felt like a six-year old just exploring a new world.



We rode out to the Hovenring to see it at night and it was an amazing sight and an incredible experience riding around it suspended above a highway. :D

No comments: